Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 1:34 pm
ESPN: Charles Barkley's '93 playoff run one of top-50 postseason performances of all-time
It was a disappointing end to a magical season and an outstanding playoff run from that year's league MVP, Charles Barkley.
In fact, ESPN's Kevin Pelton, in an ESPN Insider piece, ranked Sir Charles' postseason effort as the 33rd-best of all-time.
The Round Mound of Rebound averaged 26.6 points, 13.6 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.0 blocks and 1.6 steals over the course of 24 games.
After Game 5 of the NBA Finals, Barkley told Ahmad Rashad that God wanted the Suns to beat the Chicago Bulls. Alas, neither divine intervention nor one of the best playoff efforts by a Finals loser could prevent the Bulls from completing their first three-peat. Earlier in the playoffs, Barkley hit a buzzer-beater to complete a 4-2 series win over San Antonio and came through with 44 points and 24 points in the deciding Game 7 of the Western Conference finals against Seattle, one of three 40-plus efforts from Barkley during the postseason.
Indeed, Barkley was outstanding that entire season, and while the Suns failing to win the title certainly left a sour taste in the mouths of Valley sports fans, his efforts are certainly worth recognizing.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.