Suns GM Ryan McDonough: 5th pick affects our later picks
"My general draft philosophy is to draft the best available player regardless of position," he said the night of the draft lottery when it was learned the Suns would select fifth overall.
McDonough hasn't changed his tune since then.
Sure, there are players he favors over others.
Which ones? Good question.
McDonough chose his words carefully when speaking to reporters after each pre-draft workout, of which there were 12 held over the past month on the practice court at US Airways Center.
He did, however, present this bit of information.
"What we do at 30 and 57 will probably depend on what we do at five," he said. "I think it can be difficult to bring in multiple guys at the same position or similar position as rookies. Sometimes I think they stunt each other's growth, so depending on what we do at five that could affect what we do at 30."
Wait, did McDonough just tip his hand?
Hardly. It's just common sense, really.
"We ran into this one year in Boston," he said. "I'm not going to mention the guys' names, but other team's have as well where they draft guys who are pretty similar and then really neither one of them get a chance, in my opinion. Some guy will play a few minutes here. Some guy will play a few minutes there. It's hard to develop both of them if they can only play the same position. Now, if they're versatile, can play a primary position, secondary position, then you might be able to develop both of them.
"That's what I'm trying to avoid is drafting two guys," McDonough continued, "even if you like both of them and they're the best player at that range, then it's hard to develop both of them at the same time."
The Suns' needs are many.
No position is off limits, including point guard where Goran Dragic is signed long term and Kendall Marshall was drafted a year ago.
"You guys know our team. You know our roster," McDonough said. "We need some help on the wing, the 2 and the 3."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.