Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:40 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Victor Oladipo
Victor Oladipo - Indiana - Shooting guard
Unlike many players who are being considered by the Phoenix Suns with their fifth overall selection, Victor Oladipo wasn't a blue-chip recruit coming out of high school. He averaged 11.9 points and 10.3 rebounds for famed DeMatha High in Maryland, helping the Stags to a 32-4 record.
However, he was only a three-star recruit who was ranked as the 41st-best shooting guard in the class of 2010.
Oladipo averaged 18 minutes per game as a freshman and started five games, but didn't become a full-time starter until his sophomore season. As a junior in 2012-13, the 6-foot-5 guard developed into one of the best collegiate players in the country, helping IU to a 29-7 record, a regular season Big Ten title and a trip to the NCAA Sweet 16.
Oladipo was named Sporting News' National Player of the Year, was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and was a member of the NABC, USBWA, Associated Press and John R. Wooden All-American teams. His .599 field goal percentage was tops in the country among guards by a wide margin.
Oladipo Highlight Video
Scouting Report Snippets
Chad Ford of ESPN has Oladipo ranked as the top shooting guard and second-overall prospect in the 2013 NBA Draft. Ford cites his athleticism, leaping ability, toughness, defensive ability, non-stop motor and improving jump shot as Oladipo's biggest strengths while also saying his size and tendency to turn the ball over are his weaknesses.
Draft Express raves about Oladipo's defense and what they call his "relentless motor" as his biggest strengths. On the downside, his ball-handling and playmaking ability are weaknesses.
Victor Oladipo Scouting Video
Oladipo Combine Interview
Phoenix Suns Connection
Oladipo worked out for the Suns June 5, and according to reports, team brass fell "in love" with his game and attitude.
"The Suns have a good program on the rise. Their style of play fits me well and I am familiar with their coach. I know about him (Jeff Hornacek) well history-wise. He was a really good player in Utah and I connected with him on a personal level earlier today." -- Victor Oladipo
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?