Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:40 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Victor Oladipo
Victor Oladipo - Indiana - Shooting guard
Unlike many players who are being considered by the Phoenix Suns with their fifth overall selection, Victor Oladipo wasn't a blue-chip recruit coming out of high school. He averaged 11.9 points and 10.3 rebounds for famed DeMatha High in Maryland, helping the Stags to a 32-4 record.
However, he was only a three-star recruit who was ranked as the 41st-best shooting guard in the class of 2010.
Oladipo averaged 18 minutes per game as a freshman and started five games, but didn't become a full-time starter until his sophomore season. As a junior in 2012-13, the 6-foot-5 guard developed into one of the best collegiate players in the country, helping IU to a 29-7 record, a regular season Big Ten title and a trip to the NCAA Sweet 16.
Oladipo was named Sporting News' National Player of the Year, was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and was a member of the NABC, USBWA, Associated Press and John R. Wooden All-American teams. His .599 field goal percentage was tops in the country among guards by a wide margin.
Oladipo Highlight Video
Scouting Report Snippets
Chad Ford of ESPN has Oladipo ranked as the top shooting guard and second-overall prospect in the 2013 NBA Draft. Ford cites his athleticism, leaping ability, toughness, defensive ability, non-stop motor and improving jump shot as Oladipo's biggest strengths while also saying his size and tendency to turn the ball over are his weaknesses.
Draft Express raves about Oladipo's defense and what they call his "relentless motor" as his biggest strengths. On the downside, his ball-handling and playmaking ability are weaknesses.
Victor Oladipo Scouting Video
Oladipo Combine Interview
Phoenix Suns Connection
Oladipo worked out for the Suns June 5, and according to reports, team brass fell "in love" with his game and attitude.
"The Suns have a good program on the rise. Their style of play fits me well and I am familiar with their coach. I know about him (Jeff Hornacek) well history-wise. He was a really good player in Utah and I connected with him on a personal level earlier today." -- Victor Oladipo
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Phoenix Suns enjoy brief break, ready to resume playing
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 5How did the Suns beat one of the best NBA offenses?