Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 9:35 am
Could Phoenix Suns make a run at J.R. Smith?
But the beginning of free agency is also right around the corner, and the Phoenix Suns will be on the hunt for talent on that front as well.
According to Newsday basketball writer Al Iannazzone, the Suns might have their eye on a high-scoring two-guard.
But a team that could make a hard push J.R. Smith is the Suns, I've heard.— Al Iannazzone (@Al_Iannazzone) June 25, 2013
Smith declined a player option with the Knicks earlier this month, which will make him an unrestricted free agent July 1.
Iannazzone did write Monday that the Knicks would still like to re-sign Smith once he hits the open market, and could do so at about $5 million per season for at least two years -- a substantial raise from the $2.9 million he would have made had he exercised his option.
Smith, a nine-year veteran, is coming off his best season as a pro. In 80 games off the Knicks' bench, the 6-foot-6 guard averaged a career-high 18.1 points per game and won the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award for the first time in his career.
Smith would fill a need for the Suns, who lacked punch from their two-guard position in 2012-13 -- a season in which they won just 25 games and ranked 21st in the league in scoring at 95.2 points per game.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset with success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?