Updated Jun 28, 2013 - 6:02 pm
Phoenix Suns select C Alex Len with the fifth pick in the NBA Draft
Len averaged 11.9 points and 7.8 rebounds per game during his sophomore season in school. He was a member of the All-ACC Defensive Team as he led the conference with 2.1 blocked shots per game.
"We're really excited to have Alex Len with the fifth pick," Suns general manager Ryan McDonough said. "We feel like Alex is one of the top players in the draft. He's a good who just turned 20 years old, he's 7-foot-1, he's extremely skilled.
"He's had good success at the college level, but we think he's just scratching the surface of his potential as a player, and we were thrilled to get him at five."
The Ukrainian is a very raw talent that possesses a lot of potential. Len is very good defensively with an improving offensive game in the post. He also has the tools to be a prolific rebounder in the NBA.
He is expected to be out of action into the early part of the regular season due to a stress fracture in his left ankle.
Len may not make much of an impact for the Suns this season, but could be a cog in the middle of the paint for many years to come.
- McDonough: Len's Maryland teammates held him back
- Babby: Alex Len was Ryan McDonough's choice
- Alex Len 2013 NBA Draft Scouting Report
- Burns: Wanted McLemore but will give Suns a chance
- Green: Len an underwhelming pick
- Suns GM : 'When Alex was there, decision was clear'
- Alex Len anxious to get to work with Suns
- Hornacek, Suns thrilled to get Alex Len
- Len's girlfriend records video from draft room
- Alex Len 2012-2013 highlights
- Reaction to Suns' selection of Alex Len
- Suns Draft Candidate: Alex Len
- Suns select C Alex Len
- Your Top Plays for Today
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye finishes third in NBA Sportsmanship Award voting
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.