Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 9:58 pm
Phoenix Suns select Alex Oriakhi with No. 57 overall pick
But Ryan McDonough and Co. went a step further with their final selection Thursday night, taking Missouri forward Alex Oriakhi with the No. 57 overall pick.
Oriakhi, who averaged 11.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game his senior season, played three years at Connecticut (2009-12) before transferring to Missouri before the 2012-13 season.
"I've watched Alex over the course of his career, he's a Boston guy," McDonough said. "So, I've seen him play since high school. Watched him a lot at UConn, you know when I was with the Celtics that was a local team for us. I was at a bunch of their games. And once saw him play this last year at Missouri.
"Alex was a key part of the UConn team that won the National Championship [in 2011]. He's got good size and strength. He's a good rebounder. He plays hard, and he's a good kid."
Oriakhi was the second SEC player (Archie Goodwin, Kentucky) taken by the Suns Thursday night.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 12The Suns surprising run to start the season continues.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.