Former Suns GM Kerr 'loves' Bledsoe acquisition
Former Suns general manager Steve Kerr weighed in on last week's trade while a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf show Tuesday.
"I think it's a great move for both teams," Kerr said. "I love it for the Suns."
The July 2 move was the first big trade of the Ryan McDonough era, and landing a guard as highly sought after as Bledsoe seemed to highlight the trade, both locally and nationally.
Kerr, now an NBA analyst with TNT, sees prospective stardom in the Suns' pickup.
"You get Bledsoe, who is a potential star," he went on. "We don't know yet. We haven't seen him as a starter in the league but there's no doubt he's got the potential to be a high-level starting point guard in the NBA."
For most, that -- talent -- was never a question after the Suns acquired the 21-year-old last week. Rather, many wondered whether Bledsoe would be able to play alongside current Suns point guard Goran Dragic.
Kerr wasn't one of them.
"I think they can play together; I don't see any problem there."
He went on to note that Dragic spent time playing the two guard with Steve Nash a few years back and Bledsoe played the position with Chris Paul in Los Angeles. Kerr sees both guards as versatile enough to play either position, whether on offense or defense.
"Defensively, I don't see any problems with them playing together. Goran's got good size, so he can chase a two (guard) and Bledsoe is really strong, so he can do the same."
During the breakdown of the trade, Kerr was also sure to mention the value of his former acquisition.
"The Clippers get a guy who was really made to be on a contender in Dudley."
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.