Playmaker Diante Garrett auditioning for job with Suns, NBA
He ended with a dribble-drive kick out to Archie Goodwin for a three.
The plays bookended Diante Garrett's 12-assist, one-turnover performance in the Suns' Summer League victory against the Memphis Grizzlies Tuesday at the Thomas & Mack Center.
"Coach was just telling me to be aggressive and I was just being aggressive," he said. "I was seeing some lanes that I could get in there and I was finding guys."
Now, Garrett needs to find a job.
He's one of three point guards on the team's Summer League roster, and with Goran Dragic and newcomer Eric Bledsoe in the mix as well, it's unlikely the Suns keep all five players for the upcoming season.
"Yeah, it's a whole bunch," Garrett said of the overload at his position. "I'm just going to keep working, working hard. I'm going to stay in the gym; just keep getting it in every day. Talk to my agent, see what's out there, see what we can come up with, try to get us a game plan."
Garrett, 24, is a free agent after splitting his time last season between Phoenix and the Suns' NBA Development League affiliate, the Bakersfield Jam.
He appeared in 19 games with the Suns, averaging 2.1 points and 1.6 assists in 7.8 minutes.
"Diante has got that ability to get in the lane, and once you get in the lane, you got to make the right decisions. I thought he made some good decisions (Tuesday)," head coach Jeff Hornacek said. "That's what we expect from him when we get him in the open court. He's got to be able to create those (opportunities)."
Garrett does have one thing going for him the other four Suns point guards do not: he's an Iowa State Cyclone, Hornacek's alma mater, where Garrett ranks second to Hornacek in all-time in career assists.
That, though, is not likely to tip the balance in Garrett's favor.
It's why he's treating every game here in Las Vegas as a tryout for all 30 NBA teams.
"I definitely feel like I'm a Sun," Garrett said, "it's just when I'm on the court, I know it's a whole lot of eyes watching, so I've just got to be ready for whoever (might call)."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.