Phoenix Suns a 'winner, with caveats' in 2013 offseason
Following a 25-win campaign, the organization set out to make some changes and reverse its fortunes.
Beginning with relieving general manager Lance Blanks of his duties and replacing him with Boston executive Ryan McDonough, the team then hired Jeff Hornacek to be its head coach and then set out to overhaul the roster.
Out are Jermaine O'Neal, Wesley Johnson, Hamed Haddadi and Jared Dudley, and in are Alex Len, Archie Goodwin, Malcolm Lee, Caron Butler and Eric Bledsoe.
While no one knows how the new-look roster will fare on the court, early returns -- at least from a media perspective -- are pretty positive.
The latest glowing review comes from Zach Lowe of Grantland, who is very high on the team's three-team trade.
The Suns manufactured a way to get Bledsoe, the most desirable asset on the trade market, and they're lean enough going forward — with expiring deals, tradable assets, and unguaranteed contracts — that they can afford to overpay Bledsoe a tad in an extension. Also, they should still be bad enough this season to make a "run" at a top-five pick.
That actually seems to be the most common thought with regards to this Suns team. While maybe improved from last year's team, they don't appear to be nearly good enough to compete for a Western Conference playoff spot. And, given how top-heavy next year's draft class is expected to be, selecting near the top would not necessarily be a bad thing.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Suns’ season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.