Archie Goodwin had impressive Summer League stint
The second of the Phoenix Suns' first-round picks, the former Kentucky guard averaged 13.1 points and 3.3 rebounds per game. Sure, he tallied less than one assist per contest and turned the ball over nearly three times per game, but the rookie showed enough to impress many an observer.
Among them was SBNation.com's Mike Prada, who ranked Goodwin as the seventh-best rookie to play in either the Orlando or Vegas leagues.
I love this guy. He's the youngest player in Summer League, and up close, he looks the part, with a boyish face, clearly-underdeveloped shoulders and an expression that always makes it seem like he's out of place. Meanwhile, he was the most fearless player at the tournament, throwing his body around against guys several years his senior and finishing more successfully than several top prospects. He showed a knack for slipping around defenders to get to the basket, whether to score ...
There's no question that Summer League's open style amplifies Goodwin's strengths while minimizing his shaky basketball IQ. That said, he's still just 18 and demonstrated that he has some top-level talent that, if molded properly, will make him a steal.
And that's just it with Goodwin, he's just 18 and still has plenty to learn about the NBA game. However, he showed the supreme athleticism the Suns wanted him for, and given his solid production seems to be the type of player who will only get better from here.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?