Updated Aug 5, 2013 - 3:05 pm
Marcin Gortat still experiencing foot pain, returns to US for medical tests
Suns starting center Marcin Gortat returned to the U.S. on Thursday to undergo medical tests on his right foot, according to EuroBasket 2013's website. Gortat had been working out with Poland's national team as they prepare for the EuroBasket 2013 tournament, which starts Sept. 4 in Slovenia.
The six-year NBA veteran took a leave of three weeks from the Polish team. He is expected to return in time for the tournament to start.
Gortat suffered an injury in the same foot in early March and didn't play the rest of the 2012-2013 season for the Suns.
"Physically, I feel better and better, the rehabilitation is going well, but I still feel the pain of the foot, even during training," the 29-year-old big man said.
"I have to make sure that I will be healthy for the whole season."
The "Polish Hammer" is entering a contract year in 2013-14. Suns general manager Ryan McDonough has maintained that he's not looking to move Gortat, but the big man could become an attractive option in a trade as the season progresses -- depending on the progress of Len, the team's top draft pick in 2013.
Gortat averaged 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.6 points per game in 61 contests last season. The 6-foot-11 center had a career year in the 2011-12 campaign, in which he averaged 15.4 points and 10 rebounds per game while shooting 55.5 percent in all 66 games of the lockout-shortened season.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.