Updated Aug 5, 2013 - 3:05 pm
Marcin Gortat still experiencing foot pain, returns to US for medical tests
Suns starting center Marcin Gortat returned to the U.S. on Thursday to undergo medical tests on his right foot, according to EuroBasket 2013's website. Gortat had been working out with Poland's national team as they prepare for the EuroBasket 2013 tournament, which starts Sept. 4 in Slovenia.
The six-year NBA veteran took a leave of three weeks from the Polish team. He is expected to return in time for the tournament to start.
Gortat suffered an injury in the same foot in early March and didn't play the rest of the 2012-2013 season for the Suns.
"Physically, I feel better and better, the rehabilitation is going well, but I still feel the pain of the foot, even during training," the 29-year-old big man said.
"I have to make sure that I will be healthy for the whole season."
The "Polish Hammer" is entering a contract year in 2013-14. Suns general manager Ryan McDonough has maintained that he's not looking to move Gortat, but the big man could become an attractive option in a trade as the season progresses -- depending on the progress of Len, the team's top draft pick in 2013.
Gortat averaged 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.6 points per game in 61 contests last season. The 6-foot-11 center had a career year in the 2011-12 campaign, in which he averaged 15.4 points and 10 rebounds per game while shooting 55.5 percent in all 66 games of the lockout-shortened season.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Owner Robert Sarver: Phoenix Suns not trying to lowball RFA Eric Bledsoe
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- Robert Sarver, Phoenix Suns Owner - Friday August 1Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver joins the show to discuss Gambo's letter to Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.