Updated Aug 6, 2013 - 11:16 am
Phoenix Suns forward Michael Beasley arrested for marijuana possession
The 24-year-old was arrested by Scottsdale PD early Tuesday morning for marijuana possession near Scottsdale and McCormick roads.
According to police, Beasley was stopped for a traffic violation and as the officer approached the vehicle he smelled marijuana emanating from within the car. A search of the driver's area recovered three joints.
Beasley was booked pending charges for possession of marijuana and released. Police will await the lab results before formal charges are filed.
Beasley has a history with substance abuse. In June 2011 he was pulled over by Minneapolis police for speeding, and from there the officer noticed a strong odor of marijuana coming from the car. He also twice violated the NBA's drug policy while a member of the Miami Heat.
It was hoped that, upon signing with the Suns, Beasley would leave his off-the-court issues in the past. During his introductory press conference, the former second-overall pick said, "I realize 10 minutes of feeling good is not really worth putting my life and my career and my legacy in jeopardy. So I'm confident to say that part of my career, that part of my life, is over and won't be coming back."
When asked about the latest incident, the Phoenix Suns said they had no comment.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.