Updated Aug 6, 2013 - 11:16 am
Phoenix Suns forward Michael Beasley arrested for marijuana possession
The 24-year-old was arrested by Scottsdale PD early Tuesday morning for marijuana possession near Scottsdale and McCormick roads.
According to police, Beasley was stopped for a traffic violation and as the officer approached the vehicle he smelled marijuana emanating from within the car. A search of the driver's area recovered three joints.
Beasley was booked pending charges for possession of marijuana and released. Police will await the lab results before formal charges are filed.
Beasley has a history with substance abuse. In June 2011 he was pulled over by Minneapolis police for speeding, and from there the officer noticed a strong odor of marijuana coming from the car. He also twice violated the NBA's drug policy while a member of the Miami Heat.
It was hoped that, upon signing with the Suns, Beasley would leave his off-the-court issues in the past. During his introductory press conference, the former second-overall pick said, "I realize 10 minutes of feeling good is not really worth putting my life and my career and my legacy in jeopardy. So I'm confident to say that part of my career, that part of my life, is over and won't be coming back."
When asked about the latest incident, the Phoenix Suns said they had no comment.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Sunsí season?