Updated Aug 6, 2013 - 11:16 am
Phoenix Suns forward Michael Beasley arrested for marijuana possession
The 24-year-old was arrested by Scottsdale PD early Tuesday morning for marijuana possession near Scottsdale and McCormick roads.
According to police, Beasley was stopped for a traffic violation and as the officer approached the vehicle he smelled marijuana emanating from within the car. A search of the driver's area recovered three joints.
Beasley was booked pending charges for possession of marijuana and released. Police will await the lab results before formal charges are filed.
Beasley has a history with substance abuse. In June 2011 he was pulled over by Minneapolis police for speeding, and from there the officer noticed a strong odor of marijuana coming from the car. He also twice violated the NBA's drug policy while a member of the Miami Heat.
It was hoped that, upon signing with the Suns, Beasley would leave his off-the-court issues in the past. During his introductory press conference, the former second-overall pick said, "I realize 10 minutes of feeling good is not really worth putting my life and my career and my legacy in jeopardy. So I'm confident to say that part of my career, that part of my life, is over and won't be coming back."
When asked about the latest incident, the Phoenix Suns said they had no comment.
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t