Former Suns guard Diante Garrett signs with Oklahoma City
The 6-foot-4 Iowa State product split his time last year with the Suns and their D-League affiliate, the Bakersfield Jam. He averaged about 8 minutes a game in 19 contests with Phoenix.
The free agent guard also played with Phoenix's Summer League squad in July, but said he was treating his time there like it was a tryout for any of the 30 NBA teams. Garrett averaged 5.7 points and 3.9 assists in 16.7 minutes per game while coming off the bench in all seven of the Suns' Summer League contests.
The Thunder already has three points guards on its roster, but starter Russell Westbrook may not be ready to go when the season begins, due to a knee injury sustained in the 2013 playoffs.
The Suns likely passed over Garrett due to the influx of guards they acquired over the offseason. The team acquired Eric Bledsoe, Ish Smith and Malcolm Lee through trades, drafted Kentucky combo-guard Archie Goodwin and recently signed Summer League standout Dionte Christmas. Phoenix heads into training camp with 17 players on the roster.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.