Updated Oct 10, 2013 - 2:09 pm
Channing Frye makes successful return to the court in preseason win over Portland
On one hand, he was playing on the road against the team he left to join Phoenix in 2009. On the other hand, it was Frye's first NBA game since April 21, 2012; the University of Arizona alum sat out the entire 2012-13 season with an enlarged heart that appeared to have been caused by a virus.
The sharpshooting big man wasted no time against Portland with getting in synch with his teammates new and old. In 16 minutes off the bench, Frye put up an impressive 14 points on 5-of-6 shooting, including 3-for-4 from downtown, as the Suns pulled off a 104-98 preseason win.
After the game, Frye had nothing but gratitude to express on Twitter:
Thank you is all I can say. Thank you for everything It seemed that tonight was so far away and y'all helped me get here with your love.— Channing Frye (@Channing_Frye) October 10, 2013
Recognizing the milestone, ex-teammate Steve Nash tweeted congratulations to Frye.
The eight-year veteran will likely battle Markieff Morris for playing time at the power forward position this season. Frye would provide some instant offense if he comes off the bench; but, if Phoenix goes with Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe and P.J. Tucker as the starting point guard and wings this year, head coach Jeff Hornacek could need Frye's skillset to stretch the court and keep defenses from packing the lane.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.