Phoenix Suns have position battle brewing at small forward spot
First-year head coach Jeff Hornacek is still tinkering with his roster and player rotations, but says there's a pretty good position battle brewing.
"Probably the three spot, I'd say," Hornacek told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "Marcus (Morris), P.J. (Tucker) and Gerald Green all lend different things.
"Obviously, P.J. is great defensively, he's a guy that gets physical with other teams and really pulls up the defensive energy on our team. Then you have Gerald Green, who can really light it up offensively -- I think we saw that in the San Antonio preseason game. And then Marcus is kind of a combination of both guys, he can score some, he's working on his defense at the three spot."
Morris, acquired in a trade with Houston midway through last season, is averaging 7.0 points per game and shooting 50 percent (7-of-14) from three-point range during the preseason.
Green, who came over in an offseason trade with Indiana, has been a pleasant surprise in the preseason, averaging 8.0 points in just 13.0 minutes per game.
And Tucker, a holdover from 2012-13 who played the fourth-most minutes on the team, is posting 6.8 points and 4.4 rebounds per contest.
For Hornacek, the versatility at the small forward spot is nice to have.
"We have different options to go to there, so that's probably the biggest battle," Hornacek said.
The Suns will host Oklahoma City at US Airways Center Tuesday night before traveling to Denver to conclude their preseason slate Wednesday night against the Nuggets.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.