Suns' Lon Babby: Jeff Hornacek 'by far the best coaching candidate'
Although the organization's front office has taken criticism for straying from its history over the past several years -- promoting Lindsey Hunter to interim head coach instead of affording Dan Majerle the opportunity last season, for example -- the hire of Hornacek, who spent the first six years of his playing career with the Suns, was a reverse of direction in that regard.
Babby minced no words when talking about Hornacek on Thursday while a guest on The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta.
"We hired by far the best coaching candidate available to us, and he happened to also be beloved in the community," he said.
"He's a coach in every sense of the word. His father was a coach. He was born to coach."
Hornacek was an assistant coach with the Utah Jazz for two years prior to taking the reins in Phoenix. His father, who Babby alluded to during the interview, was a long-time high school basketball coach in suburban Chicago.
"He's a wonderful communicator," Babby went on. "He can send tough messages in a way that players accept. He does a great job of getting their attention without screaming so that when he does raise his voice, they know he's serious."
Last season, many questioned the ability of head coach Alvin Gentry and then interim head coach, Hunter, to hold players accountable.
The Suns already seem happy with what Hornacek brings to the table in that area.
And player development, too, has become a priority after the Suns' 25-57 finish last season. Predictably, Babby thinks Hornacek has that covered, too.
"And first and foremost he's a teacher. And he's filled his staff with teachers. And that's what we need; we need teaching."
Despite Hornacek's many plusses, however, Babby knows it will take a lot for the Suns to take a complete 180-degree turn from their 2012-13 fates. But the Hornacek move, among others, brightens the future.
"He sees the big picture," Babby said of Hornacek, who, along with his other attributes, is crucial to the Suns' direction.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 12The Suns surprising run to start the season continues.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.