With shortage of bigs, Suns' Frye forced into action 'whether he's in shape or not'
Now the team is not only without its center from the better part of the last three seasons, but the Suns are also taking it slow with first-round pick Alex Len -- something that could force Phoenix to start Channing Frye or go with a smaller lineup that includes Marcus Morris at center.
Frye is making his return after missing all of last season because of an enlarged heart, and hasn't played in a regular season game since April 25, 2012.
"If (starting) is what's best for the team, I'll be ready to go," Frye said. "It's cool if it happens. If not, I'll be ready to contribute."
The Suns are easing the 7-foot-1 Len into the rotation after he underwent ankle surgery in July, and Miles Plumlee -- the team's other option at center -- played just 14 games as a rookie with the Indiana Pacers.
"Obviously it depends what happens with Alex's foot," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said. "But if it's sore, he might [play] limited minutes."
Hornacek said the Suns could also roll out a small lineup that includes the 6-foot-9 Marcus Morris at center, though that would likely only be sustainable for small stretches while getting either of the Suns' centers a breather.
Frye said he's typically someone who plays better as he finds a rhythm and gets used to playing with a group for an extended period of time. But that's likely not a luxury the eighth-year pro out of the University of Arizona will be afforded as the Suns adjust to the trade of Gortat and ease Len onto the court.
"Channing's going to have to play whether he's in shape or not," Hornacek said.
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t