Updated Nov 11, 2013 - 1:58 pm
Suns' Goran Dragic misses practice to be with wife, status questionable for Portland
The return might be short-lived, however, as Dragic's wife gave birth to the couple's baby son, Mateo, Monday. Dragic missed practice to be with his wife, and his status for the team's trip to Portland remains up in the air.
"That's up to him," head coach Jeff Hornacek said. "I know Goran, he'll probably want to play. I don't know how long the baby thing will last. Hopefully we have him."
What's also unclear is what the point guard's role will be with the team once he does return from tending to family duties. With guard Eric Bledsoe thriving during Dragic's three-game absence this past week (left ankle), Hornacek opted to use the Slovenian off the pine in Sunday's victory.
However that too may be short-lived, as the first-year head coach admitted that he's inclined to reinsert Dragic back into the starting lineup.
"Hopefully he gets back healthy where we can get a good rotation going, whether in the starting lineup or off the bench," Hornacek said. "I'm leaning probably more towards starting. He played very well the first two games when he and Eric were out there together starting."
Hornacek likes the combination of Bledsoe and Dragic, as both can run the offense, but added that things can change as the season goes on and expects Dragic to perform regardless of where he is in the lineup.
"We feel all of our guys will accept any role," Horneck said.
The Suns play at Portland Wednesday and host the Brooklyn Nets Friday, meaning Dragic may not return until Nov. 19 when the team visits the Sacramento Kings.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.