First-time dad Goran Dragic expected to play vs. Portland
Guard Goran Dragic did not join the team on its charter flight. He stayed back to be with his wife, Maja, and brand new baby boy, Mateo, who was born Monday.
"He's excited," head coach Jeff Hornacek said. "He wasn't quite sure when I talked to him last night when they were able to get out of the hospital. So, if it's this afternoon he'll fly tonight. If it's not until later today then maybe he comes in the morning."
The Suns (5-2) play at Portland (5-2) Wednesday.
Dragic did not practice Monday and was not at the arena Tuesday.
It would be understandable, given the circumstances, if he did not play against the Trail Blazers.
"He wants to play," Hornacek said.
"He's a competitor, plus he goes, ‘I want to get out there and play for my new son.' There's that excitement. It's a big thrill obviously to have your first child and to go out there and play and know that—the child might not know what's going on quite yet for a couple of years, but there is that sense of pride that he wants to get back out on the court for him."
Dragic has played in only four of the first seven games. He returned from a three-game absence because a sprained left ankle to score 12 points to along with three assists in 30 minutes in Sunday's win against New Orleans.
Dragic is the team's third-leading scorer, tied with Gerald Green at 13.3 points per game.
"He's just obviously a proud dad right now," Hornacek said of Dragic.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.