First-time dad Goran Dragic expected to play vs. Portland
Guard Goran Dragic did not join the team on its charter flight. He stayed back to be with his wife, Maja, and brand new baby boy, Mateo, who was born Monday.
"He's excited," head coach Jeff Hornacek said. "He wasn't quite sure when I talked to him last night when they were able to get out of the hospital. So, if it's this afternoon he'll fly tonight. If it's not until later today then maybe he comes in the morning."
The Suns (5-2) play at Portland (5-2) Wednesday.
Dragic did not practice Monday and was not at the arena Tuesday.
It would be understandable, given the circumstances, if he did not play against the Trail Blazers.
"He wants to play," Hornacek said.
"He's a competitor, plus he goes, ‘I want to get out there and play for my new son.' There's that excitement. It's a big thrill obviously to have your first child and to go out there and play and know that—the child might not know what's going on quite yet for a couple of years, but there is that sense of pride that he wants to get back out on the court for him."
Dragic has played in only four of the first seven games. He returned from a three-game absence because a sprained left ankle to score 12 points to along with three assists in 30 minutes in Sunday's win against New Orleans.
Dragic is the team's third-leading scorer, tied with Gerald Green at 13.3 points per game.
"He's just obviously a proud dad right now," Hornacek said of Dragic.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni