First-time dad Goran Dragic expected to play vs. Portland
Guard Goran Dragic did not join the team on its charter flight. He stayed back to be with his wife, Maja, and brand new baby boy, Mateo, who was born Monday.
"He's excited," head coach Jeff Hornacek said. "He wasn't quite sure when I talked to him last night when they were able to get out of the hospital. So, if it's this afternoon he'll fly tonight. If it's not until later today then maybe he comes in the morning."
The Suns (5-2) play at Portland (5-2) Wednesday.
Dragic did not practice Monday and was not at the arena Tuesday.
It would be understandable, given the circumstances, if he did not play against the Trail Blazers.
"He wants to play," Hornacek said.
"He's a competitor, plus he goes, ‘I want to get out there and play for my new son.' There's that excitement. It's a big thrill obviously to have your first child and to go out there and play and know that—the child might not know what's going on quite yet for a couple of years, but there is that sense of pride that he wants to get back out on the court for him."
Dragic has played in only four of the first seven games. He returned from a three-game absence because a sprained left ankle to score 12 points to along with three assists in 30 minutes in Sunday's win against New Orleans.
Dragic is the team's third-leading scorer, tied with Gerald Green at 13.3 points per game.
"He's just obviously a proud dad right now," Hornacek said of Dragic.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.