Kempton: Bledsoe, Dragic both worthy of high-pressure possession
With both featuring best at point guard, the question was whether they'd each get enough touches and how, exactly, last-second possessions would be divvied up. Then, after Bledsoe was named the starting point guard, with Dragic sliding over to the two-guard, a picture was painted of the new, hot acquisition usurping the proven Sun -- becoming the team's offensive focal point.
Now, although Dragic has struggled with a nagging early-season ankle injury and Bledsoe has looked like the star the Suns hoped he would be, it seems late, high-pressure possession could still be evenly distributed between the two.
So, the question was posed to Suns' radio color analyst, Tim Kempton, Wednesday on The Doug & Wolf Show: Who would he give the ball to in the final possession?
"Either one," he responded.
"Let me look at the defense first -- who's guarding who? I'm going to go with the matchup."
Seven games in, Bledsoe has tallied one such successful possession, hitting a game-winning three-pointer versus the visiting Utah Jazz in the team's second game.
It will be interesting, however, to continue to observe the progression in ball handling in high-pressure situations, especially as Dragic's ankle heals.
Kempton, for one, counters the notion that the two cannot co-exist, by saying having two capable handlers as the clock ticks downward is a major advantage.
"That's the beauty of having those two guys on the floor," the analyst continued. "Either one is able."
And the idea that Bledsoe, a career-long backup prior to this season, would be incompetent in big situations has been all but dismissed by his performance in the first seven games.
"Eric Bledsoe has definitely come up and shown us that he can do it," says Kempton.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.