Suns GM: Rookie Goodwin 'one of the hardest workers' on team
Though his numbers were somewhat unempressive at Kentucky, Goodwin was the second-youngest player in the draft and the athletic, rangy guard had all of the physical tools and the high ceiling NBA teams look for in guards.
Goodwin seemed to see those physical tools turn into results on the floor against the Sacramento Kings Tuesday, scoring a career-high 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting to go along with two assists, rebounds and blocks.
"At 19 years old, he's already one of the hardest workers on our team," Suns GM Ryan McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "That's what the background on him was coming out. You never know how that's going to go once guys get drafted and have some money in their pockets, but he's worked as hard, if not harder, since we drafted him. He probably gets more shots up than anybody on the team."
Goodwin is one of several Suns players that got their experience at a high-profile college program, such as Duke, Kansas, Arizona, Kentucy and UCONN. McDonough said it's nice to find players that players have experience playing against high-level talent on a big state, but he doesn't like making decisions based on a player's college.
"There's some value to that, but it's not something I specifically look for," McDonough said. "If you do that, you'll miss a Damian Lillard or George Hill or some of the good players from smaller programs."
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.