Suns GM: Rookie Goodwin 'one of the hardest workers' on team
Though his numbers were somewhat unempressive at Kentucky, Goodwin was the second-youngest player in the draft and the athletic, rangy guard had all of the physical tools and the high ceiling NBA teams look for in guards.
Goodwin seemed to see those physical tools turn into results on the floor against the Sacramento Kings Tuesday, scoring a career-high 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting to go along with two assists, rebounds and blocks.
"At 19 years old, he's already one of the hardest workers on our team," Suns GM Ryan McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "That's what the background on him was coming out. You never know how that's going to go once guys get drafted and have some money in their pockets, but he's worked as hard, if not harder, since we drafted him. He probably gets more shots up than anybody on the team."
Goodwin is one of several Suns players that got their experience at a high-profile college program, such as Duke, Kansas, Arizona, Kentucy and UCONN. McDonough said it's nice to find players that players have experience playing against high-level talent on a big state, but he doesn't like making decisions based on a player's college.
"There's some value to that, but it's not something I specifically look for," McDonough said. "If you do that, you'll miss a Damian Lillard or George Hill or some of the good players from smaller programs."
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.