Updated Dec 3, 2013 - 3:36 pm
Dan Majerle: 'I'll be a Phoenix Suns fan until the day I die'
A member of the team's Ring of Honor who played eight seasons in the Valley and was an assistant coach for another five, "Thunder Dan" was very much an integral part of the Suns organization and culture.
So, when the team passed over him in favor of Lindsey Hunter to replace Alvin Gentry last January, Majerle was miffed. He didn't exactly mince words when asked about the situation then, and Tuesday, as a guest of Bickley with Marotta as the head basketball coach at Grand Canyon University, didn't change his tune much.
"I had a conversation with Lon Babby and we had that discussion," he said when asked when he and the team could reconcile their differences. "I still don't think it was right, obviously.
"And I tell everybody...I am so happy I'm here, I love it here. But being head coach of the Phoenix Suns is the dream job."
Majerle pointed to his time in the Valley with the organization.
"And then to be treated that way, to be just passed by, just threw out the door for Lindsey Hunter, to be frank, it just didn't make sense any sense and you just don't treat people like that," he said. "So that feeling will never go away, but I've put it behind me. I've talked to Lon about it, I've been to an exhibition game.
"I love Jeff Hornacek. He was a teammate of mine, he was always great to me, I hope he does well."
Majerle added that he's still fond of many of the players he coached with the Suns, so bitterness is not really an option.
"I'll be a Phoenix Suns fan until the day I die, so I hope they do great, I really do."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.