Updated Dec 3, 2013 - 3:36 pm
Dan Majerle: 'I'll be a Phoenix Suns fan until the day I die'
A member of the team's Ring of Honor who played eight seasons in the Valley and was an assistant coach for another five, "Thunder Dan" was very much an integral part of the Suns organization and culture.
So, when the team passed over him in favor of Lindsey Hunter to replace Alvin Gentry last January, Majerle was miffed. He didn't exactly mince words when asked about the situation then, and Tuesday, as a guest of Bickley with Marotta as the head basketball coach at Grand Canyon University, didn't change his tune much.
"I had a conversation with Lon Babby and we had that discussion," he said when asked when he and the team could reconcile their differences. "I still don't think it was right, obviously.
"And I tell everybody...I am so happy I'm here, I love it here. But being head coach of the Phoenix Suns is the dream job."
Majerle pointed to his time in the Valley with the organization.
"And then to be treated that way, to be just passed by, just threw out the door for Lindsey Hunter, to be frank, it just didn't make sense any sense and you just don't treat people like that," he said. "So that feeling will never go away, but I've put it behind me. I've talked to Lon about it, I've been to an exhibition game.
"I love Jeff Hornacek. He was a teammate of mine, he was always great to me, I hope he does well."
Majerle added that he's still fond of many of the players he coached with the Suns, so bitterness is not really an option.
"I'll be a Phoenix Suns fan until the day I die, so I hope they do great, I really do."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.