Phoenix Suns coach: Miles Plumlee improves every day
And it's not just because he's the tallest.
Miles Plumlee, who was acquired from Indiana in the trade that saw the Suns part with Luis Scola, is averaging 9.7 points, 9.1 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in just more than 28 minutes per night.
In Monday's win over the Lakers, he scored 17 points while pulling down a career-high 20 rebounds.
From hardly playing last year as a rookie to starting for a playoff contender, Plumlee's ascent has been both surprising and crucial to the team's success.
"We knew we'd get rebounding and athleticism, some blocked shots, we didn't think he'd be able to put the ball in the bucket except for a dunk," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek told Doug and Wolf Thursday. "But he's really worked on it. He came to the city about a month prior to the preseason starting and worked on his game with our coaches and he continues to improve every day."
Plumlee was originally selected by the Pacers with the 26th pick in the first round of the 2012 Draft, but saw action in just 14 games for the team. He played collegiately at Duke, and averaged 6.6 points with 7.1 rebounds and just under a block per game as a senior.
He's come a long way since then.
"It's a great first step for him," Hornacek added. "Where he's at now, he's only going to get better."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.