Updated Jan 5, 2014 - 3:41 pm
Leandro Barbosa to return to Phoenix Suns on 10-day contract
Barbosa, 31, is presumably being brought in for insurance purposes with Eric Bledsoe sidelined by a right knee sprain suffered during the Suns' win against the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday.
The 6-foot-3, 194-pound combo guard broke into the NBA with the Suns back in 2003 and went on to spend a seven-year stint with the organization. He has since spent time with the Toronto Raptors, Indiana Pacers, Washington Wizards and Boston Celtics, whom he played for last season while Suns general manager Ryan McDonough was still with the organization.
Barbosa has averaged 12.0 points per game, 2.4 assists per game over the course of his 11-year NBA career. A lifetime 46 percent shooter, Barbosa averaged less than 20 minutes per game in each of his final two seasons in the league.
He suffered a torn ACL in his left knee while with the Celtics last February.
Prior to signing with the Suns on Sunday, Barbosa was playing in Brazil's NBB on Esporte Clube Pinheiros.
The Phoenix Suns are working to finalize a 10 day contract with former sun Leandra Barbosa— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 5, 2014
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.