Eddie Johnson: Suns front office is championship-focused, not just playoffs-focused
They've made the playoffs in five of their last 10 seasons, making the Western Conference Finals in three. And over the last 25 years, the organization has secured a playoff berth 19 times, while once making the NBA Finals.
So, despite their three-season playoff drought, yet another postseason isn't the only aim of the Suns front office, at least according to former player and current analyst Eddie Johnson.
"The Phoenix Suns annually have always been a playoff team," he told The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta. "They've always made the good run, they've always had the opportunity, they've always had the quote-unquote star player -- all those things.
"The mindset of our (team) officials, I believe, is, ‘What can we do to put ourselves in position to eventually compete for an NBA Championship?' And not just settle for a playoff berth."
With rumors of a trade for a superstar now swirling more and more viciously, such an aim, Johnson says, should be kept in mind.
The Suns have four first round picks in the 2014 NBA draft and two in 2015, which has them in enviable shape to deal for an available star. But, Johnson warned, don't expect president of basketball operations Lon Babby and general manager Ryan McDonough to make a deal just for the sake of capitalizing on a hot start. Instead, the team may well look to gradually complete their rebuild, rather than act hastily.
"You should always take your time," he went on.
"If someone's trying to send you someone, you should always do your research."
If another team is offering a player, Johnson believes the Suns ought to look long and hard as to why he is being shopped. An impulsive move to the contrary, he said, would squander the Suns' incredible wealth of future picks and young assets.
"With that mindset, I would think it's build for the future continually and set yourself up to have an opportunity to get some good free agents without compromising the salary cap," Johnson explained.
"I like the direction the Suns are going in. This team right here, I'm telling you, is a couple of pieces away from really contending."
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.