Updated Jan 10, 2014 - 10:58 pm
By the numbers: Phoenix Suns can't hold on to lead late in Memphis
The Grizzlies held on for a 104-99 win at the FedEx Forum. Phoenix dropped to 21-14 on the season, and 1-2 on its current five-game road trip.
Here's a look at Friday's contest by the numbers:
Memphis is now 3-0 against the Suns in the 2013-14 campaign. The Grizzlies have won by an average of 10.7 points in those contests. The two teams will face each other one more time this year: On April 14 at US Airways Center -- the Suns second-to-last game of the season.
Newly signed guard Leandro Barbosa scored just four points in 22 minutes on 2-of-7 shooting. against the Grizzlies. He added two rebounds and a steal, but is still coming along slowly in his return to Phoenix.
Goran Dragic tied his season high Friday with four 3-pointers, shooting 6-of-10 overall from the field and posting 21 points and eight assists.
Rookie center Alex Len played five minutes, scoring two points on 1-of-3 shooting, grabbing three rebounds and blocking one shot. It was his third game in a row since returning from a sore left ankle that he had surgery on last year. The most minutes has has played in this current run is 12, which happened Wednesday against Minnesota.
The Suns' loss didn't come from being careless with the ball. The team only turned it over six times Friday. Memphis held on to the ball well, too, losing the ball nine times.
Starting power forward Channing Frye launched 10 three-pointers, only hitting two of them. He just shot 4-for-15 overall and finished with 10 points. He did, however, contribute two blocks on the defensive end.
Grizzlies backup forward Ed Davis appears to really like playing against the Suns. He grabbed 17 rebounds, blocked three shots and scored 10 points at FedExForum. In three games against Phoenix this season, Davis is averaging 15.6 points, 13.3 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game while shooting 67.8 percent from the field -- numbers all much higher than what he's averaging on the year.
Backup forward Markieff Morris was the Suns' second-leading scorer with 17 Friday. He shot 7-for-17 from the field and grabbed four rebounds and made one 3-pointer. It was his 10th game of 15 or more points this season.
Conley torched the Suns for 31 points at the FedEx Forum on 11-of-19 shooting. He also added seven assists, made three of out seven 3-pointers and was a perfect 6-for-6 from the line.
The Grizzlies shot a hot 48.8 percent, including making six out of 15 shots (40 percent) from downtown. The Suns, meanwhile, shot just 41.3 percent from the field, including 11-for-30 (36.7 percent) on 3-pointers.
The Suns were killed in the paint, giving up 52 points down low to the Grizzlies. In turn, Phoenix was only able to manage 32 points in the lane.
Rebounding continues to be problematic for Phoenix. Memphis, which was without starting center Marc Gasol, outrebounded the Suns 53-44 Friday. Davis led the team with 17 boards, while Zach Randolph grabbed 13 -- to go with his 20 points.
With 104 points against Phoenix, the Grizzlies became the 20th team to score 100 or more on the Suns in their 35 games. The Suns are .500 (10-10) when their opponent reaches the 100-point mark.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.