Leandro Barbosa breaks through with big game as Phoenix Suns nearly steal one in New York
The 31-year-old combo guard got a burst of energy in the fourth quarter against the New York Knicks, scoring 14 of the team's 24 points, helping the Suns erase a seven-point deficit and force overtime.
The Suns eventually fell 98-96 at the end of the extra period, but they wouldn't have made it that far without Barbosa's spectacular fourth quarter. Looking like his old self, he seemed to be able to get the the rim at will as the game wound down in regulation. He made three driving layups in the period, and even drew two fouls, converting those into four free throws -- including two that tied the game and sent it into overtime.
The 11-year veteran, who spent his first seven seasons in Phoenix, finished with 21 points on 8-of-15 shooting to go with three rebounds and two assists in 30 minutes of action.
With emerging star point guard Eric Bledsoe out at least four-to-six weeks after getting surgery on a torn meniscus in his knee, Barbosa just made his best case to get signed to another 10-day contract -- or possibly for the rest of the season.
Before putting on a Suns jersey last Wednesday against Minnesota, the 2003 first round draft pick hadn't stepped foot on an NBA court since tearing his ACL in February 2013 while with the Boston Celtics. He was playing professional ball in Brazil until Phoenix gave him a call and signed him to a short-term contract.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org