Leandro Barbosa breaks through with big game as Phoenix Suns nearly steal one in New York
The 31-year-old combo guard got a burst of energy in the fourth quarter against the New York Knicks, scoring 14 of the team's 24 points, helping the Suns erase a seven-point deficit and force overtime.
The Suns eventually fell 98-96 at the end of the extra period, but they wouldn't have made it that far without Barbosa's spectacular fourth quarter. Looking like his old self, he seemed to be able to get the the rim at will as the game wound down in regulation. He made three driving layups in the period, and even drew two fouls, converting those into four free throws -- including two that tied the game and sent it into overtime.
The 11-year veteran, who spent his first seven seasons in Phoenix, finished with 21 points on 8-of-15 shooting to go with three rebounds and two assists in 30 minutes of action.
With emerging star point guard Eric Bledsoe out at least four-to-six weeks after getting surgery on a torn meniscus in his knee, Barbosa just made his best case to get signed to another 10-day contract -- or possibly for the rest of the season.
Before putting on a Suns jersey last Wednesday against Minnesota, the 2003 first round draft pick hadn't stepped foot on an NBA court since tearing his ACL in February 2013 while with the Boston Celtics. He was playing professional ball in Brazil until Phoenix gave him a call and signed him to a short-term contract.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.