Phoenix Suns guard Ish Smith: Indiana game-like effort is there every night
Indiana came into the game with the league's best record and the game was being aired on ESPN, so the stage was bright. The Suns stepped up with a dominant 124-100 victory.
Phoenix shot 54.2 percent from the field and made 11-of-16 three-point attempts. They had nine turnovers compared to the Pacers' 20, and out-assisted their opponents by one.
It was as good an effort as you'll see from the 24-17 team, but not one guard Ish Smith thinks should be attributed to the team "getting up" for a big game.
"I'll be honest with you," he told the Burns and Gambo Show on Arizona Sports on 98.7 FM Thursday. "I'd be lying to you if I said it's not true, but we prepare each and every game...we prepare and play each and every game like we played last night.
"Sometimes we make shots, sometimes we don't make shots."
He said the defensive effort is always there, so that if the team shoots the ball the way it did Wednesday night then yeah, they'll be tough to beat.
But of course, they won't always be playing the East's top team on national TV.
"It could go either way," he said of playing on that kind of stage. "You could be too nervous or too excited. But I thought we had a great balance."
Smith played 14 minutes against the Pacers, connecting on four of his six shot attempts for 8 points while handing out 2 assists.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye finishes third in NBA Sportsmanship Award voting
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.