Phoenix Suns get high midseason grade from SI
Led by first-year head coach Jeff Hornacek, the Suns put a big cherry on the delicious sundae that was the season's first half by routing the league's best team, the Indiana Pacers, 124-100 Wednesday night at US Airways Center.
Phoenix sits at 24-17 through 41 games and in seventh place in the Western Conference -- enough to get a grade of 'A' from Sports Illustrated writer Ben Golliver.
To observers, the out-of-nowhere Suns have been delightful to watch. To opponents, their high-pressure defense, relentless attacking of the basket and youthful exuberance have been a royal pain in the neck. First-year coach Jeff Hornacek is in the Coach of the Year discussion for his ability to mold a group short on star power into a determined, team-first unit that has defeated Portland, Houston, Golden State, the Clippers and Indiana even though it entered the season projected to be the West's worst team.
Golliver's point is well-taken. Oddsmaking service Bovada.LV set the Suns' over/under on win total this season at 21 -- a mark they eclipsed back on Jan. 8.
But as Golliver illustrates, the future is a whole lot prettier for the Suns than even the present is.
Their unexpectedly awesome start deserves the attention it has received, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Phoenix is set up nicely for continued success next season and beyond.
The Suns were one of only seven teams to earn a midseason grade of 'A' or better. Indiana, Oklahoma City and Portland all received a mark of 'A+', while the Heat and Spurs got 'A's. The Toronto Raptors got a grade of 'A-' for their first-half peformance.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.