Updated Jan 27, 2014 - 1:37 am
Record-breaking defense, Markieff Morris fuel Suns' comeback win over Cavaliers
And it all started at the defensive end.
Trailing by 18 after 24 minutes of play, the Suns came out of the locker room and stifled the Cavaliers in the third quarter.
In the frame, Phoenix allowed Cleveland to connect on only two of its 21 attempts from the field -- setting a new franchise record for fewest field goals allowed in a quarter.
Additionally, the Suns set a franchise record for fewest points allowed in a quarter, outscoring the Cavaliers 25-6.
"We got on their case pretty much about defense," Suns head coach Jeff Hornacek said. "In the first half, we didn't give any effort. We said to them, 'They averaged 96 points, and they have 61 already.'
"We just said, 'Come out in the second half. If you play defense like you're supposed to and be aggressive, you'll slowly climb back into the game.' We probably got back into the game quicker than I expected, but it was the defense that did it. We held them to six points."
While defense was a main component of the second-half turnaround, so too was the play of third-year forward Markieff Morris.
The former first-round pick scored a game-high 27 points and also grabbed a season-high 15 rebounds.
Sunday's output marked Morris' 10th 20-point game of the 2013-14 campaign. Phoenix improved to 8-2 in those 10 contests.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.