Updated Feb 3, 2014 - 8:17 am
Report: Phoenix Suns interested in trading for Pau Gasol
And now, if you believe the reports, they're interested in fortifying their roster for a playoff run.
ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein is reporting that the Suns are exploring a trade for Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol.
One option for the Suns, by virtue of their $5.6 million in available salary-cap space, is swapping the expiring contract of injured big man Emeka Okafor for Gasol, even though Okafor's $14.5 million salary this season falls well shy of Gasol's $19.3 million.
The 33-year-old Gasol, a four-time All-Star, is averaging 17.0 points and 10.2 rebounds in 44 games for the Lakers this season -- making him one of only eight players in the league to have those averages this season.
It's important to note that the Suns are not shopping one of their many first-round draft picks, instead dangling Okafor's expiring contract. Okafor has not played a minute this season. The 10-year veteran was acquired by the Suns in October from Washington in the Marcin Gortat trade, but has been rehabbing a neck injury.
It's believed that the Suns, knowing that a franchise-type talent is unlikely to become available between now and the deadline, like the idea of acquiring a proven veteran of Gasol's caliber who won't slice into the club's projected cap-space riches in this and future summers.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.