Updated Feb 3, 2014 - 8:17 am
Report: Phoenix Suns interested in trading for Pau Gasol
And now, if you believe the reports, they're interested in fortifying their roster for a playoff run.
ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein is reporting that the Suns are exploring a trade for Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol.
One option for the Suns, by virtue of their $5.6 million in available salary-cap space, is swapping the expiring contract of injured big man Emeka Okafor for Gasol, even though Okafor's $14.5 million salary this season falls well shy of Gasol's $19.3 million.
The 33-year-old Gasol, a four-time All-Star, is averaging 17.0 points and 10.2 rebounds in 44 games for the Lakers this season -- making him one of only eight players in the league to have those averages this season.
It's important to note that the Suns are not shopping one of their many first-round draft picks, instead dangling Okafor's expiring contract. Okafor has not played a minute this season. The 10-year veteran was acquired by the Suns in October from Washington in the Marcin Gortat trade, but has been rehabbing a neck injury.
It's believed that the Suns, knowing that a franchise-type talent is unlikely to become available between now and the deadline, like the idea of acquiring a proven veteran of Gasol's caliber who won't slice into the club's projected cap-space riches in this and future summers.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.