Dragons breathe fire but don't lose their cool
Leaders do. And the best of them do AND say, calling out their teammates when need be. Dragic is getting better in terms of developing those qualities but he still does things that leaders don't do: like show a teammate up from time to time, letting everybody know a play gone awry wasn't his fault.
You can't do this and call yourself a leader.
Leaders take blame and carry that burden on their shoulders. They don't point the spiny, ruddy finger of blame at their teammates...and Dragic uses gestures sometimes to let people know it wasn't his fault while competing. And he did it to Channing Frye against Boston.
Channing was trying to get the ball to him and Goran moved over the top of Frye as he passed it and the ball went out of bounds. Dragic threw his hands out as if to say, "What are you doing? That was not me."
Can't do it Goran. Everybody knows what happened. We didnt need an explanation. Even if he did it in frustration, Dragic needs to understand that actions like that divide teams and throw team chemistry into a deep freeze.
The Dragon's fire is great and often melts any cold feelings that form when competing in an NBA locker room, but if he wants to take that next step in leading this team he needs to stop gesturing and start shouldering.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Suns' future looks bright, but D-backs have proven nothing is guaranteed
- Duke freshman Jabari Parker declares for NBA draft
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Sunsí season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?