Suns forward P.J. Tucker feared he'd been traded before learning of flopping fine
While no moves were made, that didn't necessarily mean that every Suns player was cool, calm and collected over the last 48 hours or so.
In fact, as president of basketball operations Lon Babby shared with Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, one particular starter was alarmed when he received a call from the Suns' brass this week.
"We had one -- I thought it was funny, but I don't think he did -- moment yesterday," Babby said. "Ryan [McDonough] and I, once they're were announcing his fines for flopping, we wanted to call P.J. [Tucker] first and let him know this about to be announced. And, so we leave him a message. We get this breathless call back.
"Ryan and I look at each other and immediately realized that he probably thought he was being traded. So, he was probably the happiest guy in the world that he was only fined $5,000."
While Tucker didn't exactly sound all that thrilled about his newfound perception as a flopper, Babby is right about one thing, it sure beats getting traded from a playoff contender.
This season, Tucker is averaging 9.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game. He's one of only three Suns players to start all 53 games, as well.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?