Suns forward P.J. Tucker feared he'd been traded before learning of flopping fine
While no moves were made, that didn't necessarily mean that every Suns player was cool, calm and collected over the last 48 hours or so.
In fact, as president of basketball operations Lon Babby shared with Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, one particular starter was alarmed when he received a call from the Suns' brass this week.
"We had one -- I thought it was funny, but I don't think he did -- moment yesterday," Babby said. "Ryan [McDonough] and I, once they're were announcing his fines for flopping, we wanted to call P.J. [Tucker] first and let him know this about to be announced. And, so we leave him a message. We get this breathless call back.
"Ryan and I look at each other and immediately realized that he probably thought he was being traded. So, he was probably the happiest guy in the world that he was only fined $5,000."
While Tucker didn't exactly sound all that thrilled about his newfound perception as a flopper, Babby is right about one thing, it sure beats getting traded from a playoff contender.
This season, Tucker is averaging 9.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game. He's one of only three Suns players to start all 53 games, as well.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.