Suns forward P.J. Tucker feared he'd been traded before learning of flopping fine
While no moves were made, that didn't necessarily mean that every Suns player was cool, calm and collected over the last 48 hours or so.
In fact, as president of basketball operations Lon Babby shared with Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, one particular starter was alarmed when he received a call from the Suns' brass this week.
"We had one -- I thought it was funny, but I don't think he did -- moment yesterday," Babby said. "Ryan [McDonough] and I, once they're were announcing his fines for flopping, we wanted to call P.J. [Tucker] first and let him know this about to be announced. And, so we leave him a message. We get this breathless call back.
"Ryan and I look at each other and immediately realized that he probably thought he was being traded. So, he was probably the happiest guy in the world that he was only fined $5,000."
While Tucker didn't exactly sound all that thrilled about his newfound perception as a flopper, Babby is right about one thing, it sure beats getting traded from a playoff contender.
This season, Tucker is averaging 9.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game. He's one of only three Suns players to start all 53 games, as well.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.