Updated Feb 27, 2014 - 11:27 am
Phoenix Suns GM: Team will explore adding a waived player
This is the time of the season when teams explore the possibility of waiving certain veterans, players whom they have little intention of playing but would like to see get minutes elsewhere.
In 2006, the Suns brought Tim Thomas on board this way, and in 2008 they added Gordan Giricek.
Thomas was huge for the team during the postseason, while Giricek made little impact.
This year, available veterans include Danny Granger, recently waived by the 76ers and Metta World Peace, no longer of the Knicks, and more could join them soon.
A guest of Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday, Suns GM Ryan McDonough said nothing has been ruled out.
"We're obviously monitoring all the guys, just seeing what's available," he said. "One of the things I think that's made our group special is how everybody's accepted their role and how our guys have stepped up when there have been injuries and we've been shorthanded."
McDonough said Wednesday night's game in Utah will be another example, as the team was without point guard Goran Dragic. They lost 109-86 in one of their worst performances of the season.
But prior to that game, McDonough made it seem as though there wasn't really a desire to add to the roster.
"We're fine not making any additional moves, but at the same time we will look at it, we will explore it," he said.
If the Suns were to sign someone, there would be two different ways they could do it. The team could claim a waived player, thereby adding his contract too, or wait for him to clear waivers and just add them as a free agent to what is likely a smaller contract.
"We're exploring all that, and frankly some of it will depend on the injuries and just how quickly we think some of our guys will be back," he said. "If our top guys, especially if our starters will be back relatively soon, I think we're likely not to do much, if anything.
"But if guys are going to be out for an extended period of time, then as you guys know, it's a battle at the bottom of the Western Conference so we have to explore all of our options."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.