Suns' Babby: Archie Goodwin has 'a unique talent'
The rookie guard out of Kentucky played a season-high 27 minutes and responded with 16 points, seven rebounds, two steals, one assist and one blocked shot.
He made 6-of-10 field goal attempts, including 1-of-2 from three-point range.
It's one game, sure, but seeing something an effort like that certainly makes the Suns excited about his future.
"It's a great piece of evaluation by Ryan and our scouts," Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby told the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "He's got a unique talent; we saw it last night. He's got an innate ability to get to the rim.
"And that's a special talent."
Goodwin, who showed his athleticism during an impressive second-quarter dunk, got to the free throw line for seven attempts, too. He only made three, though, a sign that there is still plenty about his game that could use refinement. The 6-foot-5 guard played just one year at Kentucky, where he averaged 14.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.1 steals per game.
"I think he's got a lot to learn, obviously, but he's 19 years old and he's got some things that you can't teach," Babby explained. "It's always good to see him hit a three -- I know he's been working hard on his shot."
Babby added that Goodwin was put in a tough spot Wednesday being asked to play point guard, which was a necessity for the team with Eric Bledsoe still out and Goran Dragic missing the game due to an ankle injury. Goodwin finished with just the lone assist, but that isn't necessarily indicative of how well he played the position.
"I talked to Jeff about it this morning and he said Archie knows all the plays and knows what to run and did a nice job under difficult circumstances," Babby said.
Goodwin has appeared in just 40 games this season, averaging 11.1 minutes per contest.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t