Updated Apr 9, 2014 - 12:28 pm
Suns' color analyst: Miles Plumlee has to be more aggressive
Fast forward to the final week of the regular season, the 6-foot-11 center is a big reason why the Suns are competing for one of the last Western Conference playoff seeds.
Yet, with only five games left in the season, Plumlee is logging less minutes in the past month compared to his season average of 24.7 minutes per game.
In the last 17 games, his playing time has taken a hit and he is only on the court for an average of 19.35 minutes.
Tim Kempton, color analyst for the Suns, spoke with Doug and Wolf of Arizona Sports 98.7 FM about Plumlee's sophomore season and what he needs to do to earn back his minutes.
"Jeff [Hornacek] is looking for offense and defense, and sometimes you just can't count on the offense from Miles at this stage of his career," Kempton said.
"He's got to get his energy going. He's got to be aggressive early on. The more aggressive he is, I think the more playing time he'll get, because obviously the rebounding is there."
Plumlee leads the team in rebounds (8) and blocks (1.2) per game, but Hornacek has been going with Channing Frye and Markieff Morris, who both averaged more minutes than Plumlee in the team's last 10 games.
"Right now, Jeff Hornacek has lost a little bit of confidence in him," Kempton said. "Maybe not that he's lost confidence in him, but his confidence in those other guys have picked up so greatly that he has more confidence in them to go into clutch situations."
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.