ProBasketballTalk names McDonough its Executive of the Year
ProBasketballTalk.com named its Executive of the Year and the award went to the Phoenix Suns' Ryan McDonough.
As far as upsets go, this isn't exactly one.
The panel of Kurt Helin, Brett Pollakoff and Dan Feldman explained their choice.
I don't think Ryan McDonough meant for his team to be this good, he kind of lucked into it. However he made two brilliant moves that gave this team core pieces — trading for Eric Bledsoe and hiring Jeff Hornacek — while still stockpiling picks and keeping the team in a good position with the salary cap to add free agents.
Stockpiled draft picks and acquired Eric Bledsoe and other low-salary players that had the team in contention for a playoff spot all season long, when it was widely assumed that the Suns would suffer a fate similar to that of the Sixers. Phoenix has cap space and plenty of picks moving forward to expedite the rebuilding process, and McDonough put it all into place.
Not only did McDonough build an excellent team by acquiring players of the scrap heap, he added multiple future first-round picks in the process. And he nailed a coaching hire, choosing Jeff Hornacek. This was elite general managing.
McDonough helped reshape a roster that nearly doubled its win total from the previous season, and came frustratingly close to earning a Western Conference playoff spot.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.