Al McCoy: Suns were most exciting team in the NBA
Yet, the 2013-14 Suns shocked everyone by winning 48 games this season, and though they missed the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year, there is nothing other than optimism surrounding the club as it moves forward.
A guest of Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday, McCoy had nothing but good things to say about this year's squad.
"I thought they were the most exciting team to watch in the NBA when things were clicking, and when they were clicking, they were great," he said.
If not great, the Suns were quite good. Their 48 wins tied them for the 11th-most victories in all of basketball, and with wins over elite teams like the Indiana Pacers, Oklahoma City Thunder and Los Angeles Clippers, it was clear Phoenix could compete with the big boys.
But as McCoy noted, this season -- while great -- will also carry a good amount of 'what ifs' with it. What if, for instance, Eric Bledsoe never needed knee surgery? Or what if Goran Dragic's ankle didn't fall apart in the season's final days?
But that's all in the past now, as the Suns will now look to build off a surprising season and become a team that can compete for a championship.
"Now it's going to be an exciting summer," McCoy said. "As we all know, we've talked about it all year, the decisions the front office is going to have to make with draft picks, with potential free agents, with keeping everything else that's positive intact, it's going to make it an exciting summer for the Suns."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.