Al McCoy: Suns were most exciting team in the NBA
Yet, the 2013-14 Suns shocked everyone by winning 48 games this season, and though they missed the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year, there is nothing other than optimism surrounding the club as it moves forward.
A guest of Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday, McCoy had nothing but good things to say about this year's squad.
"I thought they were the most exciting team to watch in the NBA when things were clicking, and when they were clicking, they were great," he said.
If not great, the Suns were quite good. Their 48 wins tied them for the 11th-most victories in all of basketball, and with wins over elite teams like the Indiana Pacers, Oklahoma City Thunder and Los Angeles Clippers, it was clear Phoenix could compete with the big boys.
But as McCoy noted, this season -- while great -- will also carry a good amount of 'what ifs' with it. What if, for instance, Eric Bledsoe never needed knee surgery? Or what if Goran Dragic's ankle didn't fall apart in the season's final days?
But that's all in the past now, as the Suns will now look to build off a surprising season and become a team that can compete for a championship.
"Now it's going to be an exciting summer," McCoy said. "As we all know, we've talked about it all year, the decisions the front office is going to have to make with draft picks, with potential free agents, with keeping everything else that's positive intact, it's going to make it an exciting summer for the Suns."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.