Updated Apr 22, 2014 - 8:33 am
Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
The Phoenix Suns finished with a record of 48-34 and barely missed the playoffs.
Playoffs or not, a winning record far exceeded the expectations of the team. First-year head coach Jeff Hornacek was recognized for the season his team had as he finished second in the 2013-14 NBA Coach of the Year voting.
Hornacek received 37 first-place votes, 44 second-place votes and 22 third-place tallies. His total of 339 points was 41 behind the San Antonio Spurs' Gregg Popovich.
Popovich won the award for the third time after leading the Spurs to a league-best 62 wins.
Two Suns coaches have won the annual honor -- Cotton Fitzsimmons in 1988-89 and Mike D'Antoni in 2004-05.
2013-14 NBA Coach of the Year Voting
|Coach, Team||1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place||Points|
|Gregg Popovich, Spurs||59||23||16||380|
|Jeff Hornacek, Suns||37||44||22||339|
|Tom Thibodeau, Bulls||12||22||33||159|
|Steve Clifford, Bobcats||8||21||24||127|
|Dwayne Casey, Raptors||5||9||18||70|
|Terry Stotts, Trail Blazers||2||3||6||25|
|Doc Rivers, Clippers||1||2||2||13|
|Scott Brooks, Thunder||0||0||1||1|
|Mark Jackson, Warriors||0||0||1||1|
|Jason Kidd, Nets||0||0||1||1|
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.