Updated Apr 30, 2014 - 11:34 am
Carney: Obama supports NBA ban against Sterling
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama is supporting the NBA's lifetime ban against Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling.
That's according to White House press secretary Jay Carney. Carney said Wednesday that Obama believes the league did the right thing in response to Sterling's racist comments.
Obama had weighed into the controversy over the weekend during a trip to Asia. The president called Sterling's secretly recorded comments "incredibly offensive racist statements."
Obama also cast Sterling's remarks as part of a continuing legacy of slavery and discrimination that Americans have to constantly be on guard against.
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced the punishment Tuesday. Silver also said he will try to force a sale of the Clippers and fined Sterling $2.5 million.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni