Updated Apr 30, 2014 - 12:29 pm
Senate leader: NFL Redskins should change name
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says it's time for the NFL's Washington Redskins to change their name, linking the issue to racist comments by a professional basketball team owner.
In a Senate speech Wednesday, the Nevada Democrat said Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is hiding behind tradition in retaining his team's name, which critics call racially offensive.
Reid called on Snyder "to do what is morally right" by changing the name. Reid has criticized the name before, telling The Washington Post in March that he thinks it will be changed within three years.
Reid said his state has 22 tribes and that the only tradition behind the Redskins' name was one of racism.
Reid congratulated the NBA for banning Los Angeles Clippers' owner Donald Sterling for life. Sterling was caught in an audio recording making racist comments about blacks.
Reid said it's time for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to follow the NBA's lead and rid his league of bigotry and racism.
Other prominent politicians have criticized or questioned the Redskins' name. President Barack Obama told The Associated Press in October: "If I were the owner of the team and I knew that the name of my team -- even if they've had a storied history -- was offending a sizable group of people, I'd think about changing it."
Several members of Congress, including Republicans and Democrats, have urged Snyder to change the team's name.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.