Updated May 15, 2014 - 5:41 pm
Report: Phoenix Suns met with Marcus Smart, Tyler Ennis and Dante Exum
In many cases, it's an opportunity to get to know a player who you may like but has little chance of picking.
But sometimes it may serve to offer clues as to which players a team might be interested. After all, you only have room to interview 18 prospects, so you don't waste time on someone just for the fun of it.
So the fact that the Phoenix Suns, who currently have three picks in the first round, have met with three guards at the combine may serve as a bit of a clue to their intentions.
Dante Exum met with Pistons, 76ers and Suns...— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) May 15, 2014
Tyler Ennis has met with the Charlotte Bobcats, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns, Oklahoma City Thunder and Denver Nuggets.— Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) May 15, 2014
Marcus Smart has met with the Houston Rockets, Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets.— Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) May 15, 2014
According to NBADraft.net, Exum, Smart and Ennis are all expected to be lottery picks in June's draft, with Exum and Smart among the first six players taken.
Barring the Suns coming up lucky in next Tuesday's lottery, that will be too early for them to have a chance. However, with as many picks as they do hold, it's always possible they could look to swing a trade and move up in the draft.
But if they did so, would they be after one of the class' best guards? With Goran Dragic on the roster and Eric Bledsoe appearing to be part of the team's long-term plans, it would seem the team would have little need for any of the three.
Then again, Bledsoe is scheduled to become a restricted free agent and, probably even more important than that, it never hurts a team to do its due diligence.
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.