Updated Jul 1, 2014 - 7:22 am
Report: Phoenix Suns are in the market for Pau Gasol
ESPN's Ramona Shelburne tweeted Monday that the Suns are expected to compete with the Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets for the services of big man Pau Gasol, who has played with the Lakers for the last six-plus seasons.
Add two teams to the expected Pau Gasol market: Phoenix and Atlanta. Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Mavs, Rockets all expected to pursue.— Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) July 1, 2014
Gasol averaged 17.4 points and 9.7 rebounds in Los Angeles last season, and the Suns were linked to him in trade talks near the trade deadline. Given Channing Frye's possible departure through free agency, it makes sense that the Suns would be in the market for a big man with the ability to score.
The Suns have a plethora of space to maneuver under the salary cap, though a chunk of that is expected to go to Eric Bledsoe. The possible addition of Gasol would add him to a Suns frontcourt that includes the likes of Markieff and Marcus Morris and Miles Plumlee.
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.