Updated Jul 8, 2014 - 4:25 pm
ESPN insider: Suns have assets to offer but maintain slim chance of landing LeBron James
"If you're the Suns, the plan from the beginning should have been flexibility and get better at the same time," Elhassan told Bickley and Marotta Tuesday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Chasing after LeBron, while it's nice and makes great headlines, I don't think it's realistic."
Although the Suns may not be a legitimate contender for the superstar's services, Elhassan mentioned that Phoenix has a distinct advantage in two areas: a relationship with James' agent and the potential to help the four-time MVP remain healthy.
"Eric Bledsoe is represented by Rich Paul, Rich Paul is also the agent for LeBron James so this gives them an opportunity to have a direct line to the guy who is taking all the auditions since LeBron isn't meeting with anybody," Elhassan said.
He also added that James isn't getting any younger, and if the Suns make a pitch about their exceptional training staff, it could turn his eyes to Phoenix as a possible landing spot.
But even with those two assets, Elhassan believes the Suns will fall short in convincing James to come to Phoenix.
"They have a very interesting in," Elhassan said. "I don't think it's enough, but it is something that separates you from the pack."
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.