Updated Jul 8, 2014 - 4:25 pm
ESPN insider: Suns have assets to offer but maintain slim chance of landing LeBron James
"If you're the Suns, the plan from the beginning should have been flexibility and get better at the same time," Elhassan told Bickley and Marotta Tuesday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Chasing after LeBron, while it's nice and makes great headlines, I don't think it's realistic."
Although the Suns may not be a legitimate contender for the superstar's services, Elhassan mentioned that Phoenix has a distinct advantage in two areas: a relationship with James' agent and the potential to help the four-time MVP remain healthy.
"Eric Bledsoe is represented by Rich Paul, Rich Paul is also the agent for LeBron James so this gives them an opportunity to have a direct line to the guy who is taking all the auditions since LeBron isn't meeting with anybody," Elhassan said.
He also added that James isn't getting any younger, and if the Suns make a pitch about their exceptional training staff, it could turn his eyes to Phoenix as a possible landing spot.
But even with those two assets, Elhassan believes the Suns will fall short in convincing James to come to Phoenix.
"They have a very interesting in," Elhassan said. "I don't think it's enough, but it is something that separates you from the pack."
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.