Alex Oriakhi gets 2nd chance with Phoenix Suns at Summer League
Ryan McDonough and the Suns selected the Missouri product with the 57th overall pick in the second round of the 2013 NBA Draft. The 6-foot-9 power forward spent last season playing in France, Israel and finally ending up in the D-League.
"It's been crazy," said Oriakhi. "But it's been enjoyable at the same time, playing in the D-League and overseas. Getting the experience I think prepares me for something like this."
In France, he played for Limoges CSP, which is a part of the LNB Pro A league.
"I would probably say France," Oriakhi replied when asked about what was the highest level of competition he faced last season. "I was in France for about three months. It's more physical. Obviously you play 40 minutes instead of 48. The kids are pros when they are 16."
Once Oriakhi returned to the U.S., he had significant success in the Development League. He was named to the NBA D-League All-Rookie First Team, splitting time between the Erie BayHawks and Sioux Falls Skyforce. Oriakhi averaged 7.2 points on 49.8 percent shooting with 6.2 rebounds in 43 games.
The Suns kept in contact with Oriakhi as he traveled to let him know what they wanted him to work on. Since he was their second-round pick, Phoenix still holds his exclusive rights, even though he wasn't with the team last year.
"They did a great job of watching me and scouting me in the D-League," he said. "Being in elite shape, and that's something I've concentrated on. Just getting myself in the best shape possible. I'm getting good feedback from the coaches. They said I'm a lot better from last year as far as my conditioning, me being comfortable out there and my overall play."
Phoenix opens up its Las Vegas Summer League schedule on Saturday against the Golden State Warriors. The game can be seen on NBA TV at 5:00 p.m. MST.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.