Phoenix Suns rookie T.J. Warren shines in first Summer League outing
The small forward out of North Carolina State shot a sizzling 10-for-16 (62.5 percent) from the field Saturday and scored a team-high 22 points, getting buckets mostly off drives and mid-range jumpers.
Warren, the 14th overall selection in the 2014 draft, also added four rebounds, a block and a steal in more than 23 minutes.
Also impressive for Phoenix was second-year Archie Goodwin, who posted 17 points on 6-for-10 shooting from the floor and 5-for-7 from the free throw line.
Center Miles Plumlee grabbed nine rebounds in just under 27 minutes, but he finished with just three points. Both he and rookie Alec Brown, Phoenix's lone second-round selection (50th overall) in 2014, went 0-for-7 in the game.
The Suns had trouble shutting down Golden State guard Justin Holiday, who had a game-high 29 points in 32 minutes.
In a rematch of last year's Las Vegas Summer League championship game, Saturday's contest went down to the wire. Goodwin made a steal and a fast break layup to put Phoenix up 72-70 with just under a minute left, but the Warriors scored the next two buckets, capped by Holiday's putback layup with three seconds left, to go up by two. Goodwin attempted a three-pointer as time expired but missed.
Golden State is now 2-0 in Summer League, while the Suns are 0-1.
Phoenix will face the Milwaukee Bucks (0-1) Sunday at 7 p.m. MST.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.