Phoenix Suns rookie T.J. Warren shines in first Summer League outing
The small forward out of North Carolina State shot a sizzling 10-for-16 (62.5 percent) from the field Saturday and scored a team-high 22 points, getting buckets mostly off drives and mid-range jumpers.
Warren, the 14th overall selection in the 2014 draft, also added four rebounds, a block and a steal in more than 23 minutes.
Also impressive for Phoenix was second-year Archie Goodwin, who posted 17 points on 6-for-10 shooting from the floor and 5-for-7 from the free throw line.
Center Miles Plumlee grabbed nine rebounds in just under 27 minutes, but he finished with just three points. Both he and rookie Alec Brown, Phoenix's lone second-round selection (50th overall) in 2014, went 0-for-7 in the game.
The Suns had trouble shutting down Golden State guard Justin Holiday, who had a game-high 29 points in 32 minutes.
In a rematch of last year's Las Vegas Summer League championship game, Saturday's contest went down to the wire. Goodwin made a steal and a fast break layup to put Phoenix up 72-70 with just under a minute left, but the Warriors scored the next two buckets, capped by Holiday's putback layup with three seconds left, to go up by two. Goodwin attempted a three-pointer as time expired but missed.
Golden State is now 2-0 in Summer League, while the Suns are 0-1.
Phoenix will face the Milwaukee Bucks (0-1) Sunday at 7 p.m. MST.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.