Updated Jan 25, 2012 - 12:52 pm
D-backs, Ziegler agree to terms
The deal is reported to be worth just under $1.8 million.
The veteran was acquired by the Diamondbacks from the Oakland Athletics last July in exchange for 1B/OF Brandon Allen and lefty reliever Jordan Norberto.
In 23 regular season appearances out of the Arizona bullpen, Ziegler posted a 1.74 ERA in 20.2 innings of work.
Unfortunately, the 32-year-old is better remembered for his part in a disastrous 6th inning meltdown against the Milwaukee Brewers in Game 2 of the NLDS. Ziegler pitched to seven batters after replacing starter Daniel Hudson, allowing 4 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 walks and one balk. He also committed an error during that frame.
Ziegler was originally a 20th round draft pick of the Philadelphia Phillies in 2003 out of Missouri State University. He hooked on with Oakland in 2004 after being released by Philadelphia in March of 2004. He's made 246 relief appearances in his career, going 11-13 with a 2.43 ERA in 252 innings of work.
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.