Updated Jan 25, 2012 - 12:52 pm
D-backs, Ziegler agree to terms
The deal is reported to be worth just under $1.8 million.
The veteran was acquired by the Diamondbacks from the Oakland Athletics last July in exchange for 1B/OF Brandon Allen and lefty reliever Jordan Norberto.
In 23 regular season appearances out of the Arizona bullpen, Ziegler posted a 1.74 ERA in 20.2 innings of work.
Unfortunately, the 32-year-old is better remembered for his part in a disastrous 6th inning meltdown against the Milwaukee Brewers in Game 2 of the NLDS. Ziegler pitched to seven batters after replacing starter Daniel Hudson, allowing 4 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 walks and one balk. He also committed an error during that frame.
Ziegler was originally a 20th round draft pick of the Philadelphia Phillies in 2003 out of Missouri State University. He hooked on with Oakland in 2004 after being released by Philadelphia in March of 2004. He's made 246 relief appearances in his career, going 11-13 with a 2.43 ERA in 252 innings of work.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.