Updated Jan 25, 2012 - 12:52 pm
D-backs, Ziegler agree to terms
The deal is reported to be worth just under $1.8 million.
The veteran was acquired by the Diamondbacks from the Oakland Athletics last July in exchange for 1B/OF Brandon Allen and lefty reliever Jordan Norberto.
In 23 regular season appearances out of the Arizona bullpen, Ziegler posted a 1.74 ERA in 20.2 innings of work.
Unfortunately, the 32-year-old is better remembered for his part in a disastrous 6th inning meltdown against the Milwaukee Brewers in Game 2 of the NLDS. Ziegler pitched to seven batters after replacing starter Daniel Hudson, allowing 4 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 walks and one balk. He also committed an error during that frame.
Ziegler was originally a 20th round draft pick of the Philadelphia Phillies in 2003 out of Missouri State University. He hooked on with Oakland in 2004 after being released by Philadelphia in March of 2004. He's made 246 relief appearances in his career, going 11-13 with a 2.43 ERA in 252 innings of work.
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.