Updated Jan 25, 2012 - 12:52 pm
D-backs, Ziegler agree to terms
The deal is reported to be worth just under $1.8 million.
The veteran was acquired by the Diamondbacks from the Oakland Athletics last July in exchange for 1B/OF Brandon Allen and lefty reliever Jordan Norberto.
In 23 regular season appearances out of the Arizona bullpen, Ziegler posted a 1.74 ERA in 20.2 innings of work.
Unfortunately, the 32-year-old is better remembered for his part in a disastrous 6th inning meltdown against the Milwaukee Brewers in Game 2 of the NLDS. Ziegler pitched to seven batters after replacing starter Daniel Hudson, allowing 4 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 walks and one balk. He also committed an error during that frame.
Ziegler was originally a 20th round draft pick of the Philadelphia Phillies in 2003 out of Missouri State University. He hooked on with Oakland in 2004 after being released by Philadelphia in March of 2004. He's made 246 relief appearances in his career, going 11-13 with a 2.43 ERA in 252 innings of work.
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.