Stephen Drew returns to action
Manager Kirk Gibson was happy to see him back out there.
"He moved a lot better than I thought he would, to be honest with you. We put him through agility stuff and Matty (Williams) hit him some ground balls and then they went over and hit in the batting cage," Gibson said. "We shut him down and did some things to cool him down properly. We'll see how he feels tomorrow. Big step, first time he's been on the field with grounders."
Gibson talked about Drew's work ethic as well, saying that Drew finally took a week off -- his first since undergoing surgery for a fractured right ankle and ligament damage last July.
Drew was injured sliding into home plate against the Brewers when his cleats caught in the ground and his ankle got twisted underneath him.
Gibson did end Drew's injury update Monday with guarded optimism.
"We'll take him slow. We're not going to push him at this point. But he's still got a long way to go for sure."
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!